Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Late Introduction.

I never really introduced myself.
Well, I mean, hopefully you would have figured out that my name is Shelby.
But you can call me Shelbs, Slinny, or Wall-E.
Nonetheless, I should've talked a little bit more about myself and what has got me to where I am.

I'm a (as of when I'm writing this) 19 year old gal from a small town in West Texas.
I go to Texas A&M and absolutely love it.
I blog about what's on my mind really.
I would describe myself as an awkward, but perfectly placed girl.
What I mean by that is I've got brown, naturally curly hair, green eyes, and a very different personality.
I've been told I'm not ordinary, which I find describes me to the point of where it can become weird.
I'm tall.
I have two different sized feet.
Second child of four.
Obsession with nail polish, YouTube, Bath & Body Works, and music (except rap...I can't take it).
I love Supernatural.
Charles and Alli Trippy are some of the biggest inspirations in my life.
I've seen each Star Wars episode at least 3 times (some more than that, but I still get that awe as if that was my first time seeing it).
I drive a tiny car.
I love frogs, owls, and peacocks.
I gave my life to Jesus Christ about 12 years ago (which was the BEST decision of my life).

Growing up in a small town, then moving to a HUGE college is tremendously hard.
Quick flashback to when I was in High School.......
I seriously HATED it.
With a passion.
I counted the years, then months, then days until graduation.
Freshmen year.
Woah, that was an interesting year.
My older sister, Kaleigh, was a senior at the time.
She was also valedictorian of her class.
That in itself was hard for me because I always felt like EVERYONE was expecting that from me.
Which didn't happen (but you'll read more about that later).
It was hard having to live up to that, so I didn't.
My sophomore year was probably one of the most awkward for me.
I wore glasses, had braces, usually had my hair in a bun, and usually wore things twice my size.
Yeah, go ahead, I give you permission to laugh at me.
It was pretty wicked.
What some people don't know is that I was also struggling with a lot of stuff.
Things just never seemed to go right.
My junior year was a little different.
March of that year (2010), I got my braces taken off, a haircut, and new glasses...in a day.
I went back to school completely different.
Things began to change.
People were beginning to notice me.
It felt weird.
I had never really known that feeling and honestly, sometimes it still freaks me out.
MOVING ONWARD!
Senior Year.
The supposedly "Best Year of Your Life".
HA!
Try one of the worst, at least for me.
I mean, apart from being Flag Captain for two years, and mascot for one (which at times I REALLY hated doing, but it made others happy and that's what mattered), there really wasn't anything here for me.
If you asked my parents and people who knew me pretty well, they would've told you that I was counting the days to leave.
Graduation came (finally....).
One of the happiest days of my life.
Grabbing my diploma, flashing a smile, and thanking God that I survived.
That summer was kinda rough and busy.
About that time, I fell away from my relationship with God (I wouldn't want to go to church, bible studies, wouldn't touch my bible, nothing).
Well, it was kinda terrible.
One of the roughest time of my life.
After realizing how stupid I was, I aimed for change.
Summer passed and I started to grow that relationship with Him back (mostly thanks to Impact, my amazing leaders, awesome friends, and fully to our gracious God).
Fast Forward back to now.
I know what [some] of my flaws are, but I also know God loves me the way I am.
I have an amazing and super supportive family.
The best bunch of friends that I could ever imagine.
All these things just because God made it this way.
God didn't HAVE to give them to me, but He did.
HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!
I've learned that this moment, right now, is what matters.

The Now.
Not the Then.
Now.
He's still teaching me everyday how to grow.
I still make stupid mistakes, that probably will never change.
I'm human.
I'm Shelby.
That won't change.
I promise.
My height might, but I won't.
I'll always be Shelby.

1 comment:

  1. Shelbykins... you are just right just the way God made you and I hope you never ever change!

    ReplyDelete